Prompt Response Week Six

With Valentine's Day coming up, everyone's hoping for the perfect date on the day of love. Why not set up a blind date...with a book! As a featured romance display, we can wrap books in Kraft paper, decorate with ribbon and drawn on hearts, and let patrons choose a book to "blind date." We can incorporate some integrated advisory by writing bullet points on the books with movies or TV shows similar in some way to the wrapped book, as well as tropes and other small details to intrigue patrons to one book over the other. For example, on the wrapping of "You, Again" by Kate Goldbeck it could say:

    "For lovers of:

    • When Harry Met Sally
    • Enemies to Lovers
    • Grumpy/Sunshine"
Don't forget to write the barcode number on the back for easy checkout without ruining the surprise!

Comments

  1. Hello Abigail!

    Blind Date with a Book is such a fun idea, and it's perfect for the adventurous reader in all of us! I am a big fan of suggesting the blind date as a read-alike for something the patron may already like. That makes it more of a safe bet that the patron will enjoy the book. A librarian at my library decided to use the first line of the book as the hook on the cover to encourage people to pick it up. I think this is super effective, but only if the first line is a doozy, such as "It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn’t know what I was doing in New York." This is the first line of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, and it already has given me a setting, a timeframe, and a tone of death and strangeness. Finding the right books for these kinds of displays is half the job, but it is such a fun idea, especially for February!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! My library did something like this where they gave the genre and the first line of the book and you used that to pick one to read. It was fun. But I love the "blind date" direction you went with it. And I like how you used some movies and appeal factors to help readers make a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote about this same type of program in my response. Which means I also love this idea! Our library even did it for valentines day like you mentioned doing. I love that you incorporated movies in the descriptions of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a wonderful idea! I've seen this done before at bookstores but have never personally seen it done at the library. I've always wanted to do this at least once, but I am scared to buy a book I know nothing about. This is such a fantastic alternative! You get to participate in the fun of not knowing the book while not committing to purchasing it. I also love that you included similar movies and TV shows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our library did this for Valentine's Day. It goes over really well. I put our display with a catchy saying on social media, I think there are only two books left on the display,

    ReplyDelete
  6. This idea is always a classic. I've even seen some bookstores do it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Reading Profile

Thriller Annotation: The Housemaid by Freida McFadden

Week 13 Prompt Response